Sushi is probably my favourite Japanese food. It is just so delicious! With soft, sticky rice and crunchy vegetables, who doesn’t enjoy this amazing dish? I especially like having soy sauce with them as it gives them such a lovely flavour.
Ingredients: (makes four rolls)
- 325ml of water
- 150g short-grain rice
- 3 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of salt
- 4 Nori Seaweed Sheets
- Your Choice of Fillings
- Pour the water into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice and then stir.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for twenty minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, caster sugar and salt together.
- Once the rice has cooked, blend the mixture into the rice.
- Centre once nori seaweed sheet on a bamboo mat.
- Using a spoon, spread some of the rice across the entire seaweed sheet.
- Arrange your choice of toppings on top.
- Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently.
- Roll it forward to make a complete roll.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut into equal sized slices.
You could just have the sushi with some sauces, but we decided to have a light salad with it. To make it all you need is some edamame beans, pepper and watercress. Then you need to prepare the vegetables and pour on a dressing of your choice. Simple!