As the weather is starting to get colder, we are all starting to have more warming dishes on our tables. Dishes that you couldn’t eat in the summer like soups, hot pots or chillis. But in this post, I am going to be writing about the winter meal: stews! In particular, fish and vegetable stew. This stew has a refreshing sauce and soft vegetables with flaky fish on top.
Ingredients (serves four):
- 800g Chickpeas
- 900g Courgette
- 150ml of Fish Stock
- 90ml of Olive Oil
- 45ml of Plain Flour
- 30ml of Parsley
- 5ml of Rosemary
- 4 Sundried Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Onion
- 1 Stick of Celery
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Fresh Red Chilli
- 4 Cod Fillets
- Juice from half a lemon
- Finely dice and chop the onion, celery, carrot and chilli.
- Chop and trim the courgette.
- Heat one-third of the oil in a deep pan until hot.
- Add the rosemary and bay leaf and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the chopped onion, celery, carrot and chilli.
- Cook the vegetables for around seven to eight minutes or to when they are soft.
- Add the chopped courgette and cook for a further three to five minutes or so when the courgette is al dente.
- Pour in the chickpeas and stock and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the parsley, lemon juice and seasoning and simmer for another five minutes.
- Spread the flour on a flat plate and top with seasoning.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan.
- Crush the garlic and add to the frying pan to fry for three minutes.
- After three minutes, remove and discard the garlic.
- Coat the fish in the seasoned flour.
- Place in the frying pan, skin side down.
- Cook for five minutes until golden brown, then flip the fish over and cook for a further three minutes.
- Divide the stew between four bowls and place the fish on top.
This stew is very hearty and perfect on a cold day when you need to be warmed up. The chopped vegetables are so mouth-watering and are really appetising.