The Victoria Sandwich, ever so british don’t you think? The great thing about this recipe is that it uses the all in one method which makes it ever so convenient; it takes under 30 minutes to make and put in the oven! I don’t think you can go wrong on a Saturday afternoon with a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Lovely! There is so many recipes also online and one thing I think you HAVE to have in it is strawberry jam and buttercream to complete the classic of all classic cakes.
For the cake:
- 225g flour
- 225g sugar
- 225g butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the buttercream:
- 100g butter
- 140g icing sugar
- 120g jam of choice
- Grease two baking tins of equal size and using a piece of baking parchment, rub some butter round the sides and base of both tins.
- Using another piece of baking parchment, draw round the bottom of each tin and cut out; place this on top of the base of the tin.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder.
- After each ingredient is added, beat well using an electric mixer.
- Divide the mixture evenly between both tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat continuously.
- Spread the buttercream across on of the sponges and then spread jam over the other.
DISCLAIMER: As I mentioned there is so many recipes, but I don’t know where the original recipe I used is by. If I find it, I will add the link.