I know the feeling when you just want pizza with a crispy base but have never found the right one to get it just the way you want. Well, fear no further as this is the recipe for you! I absolutely love pizza and this crust is just like the one you would get at a restaurant (if that’s a good thing or not for some people). I have also included some topping ideas for those adventurous people out there but for me, it’s just either Margarita or Florentina.
For the dough: (the dough will be enough to make two pizzas so halve the quantities for a single pizza)
- 350g strong white flour
- 25g coarse semolina, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1½ tsp salt
- 7g fast action dried yeast
1 tbsp olive oil, (not extra virgin) plus extra for drizzling
- 275ml tepid water
For the sauce:
- 100ml passata
- A handful of fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the toppings:
- Your Choice! (I have included some ideas later in this post)
- Preheat the oven to 240C/fan 220C /gas 8.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, semolina, salt, and yeast.
- Make a dip in the middle.
- Pour in the oil and water.
- Stir and knead everything together (hands are probably the best way to do this)
- At the end of kneading everything together, the dough should feel sticky.
- Now place some clingfilm over the top of your bowl and leave for around 15 minutes.
- Tip the resting dough now onto a lightly oiled surface (note not floured).
- Knead the dough but too much otherwise it might go all tough (no one likes tough pizza, do they?)
- Oil the bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it.
- Cover the bowl and leave to rest for around 10 minutes.
- Whilst you are waiting, make the sauce by mixing the passata, basil, and crushed garlic together.
- Season the sauce.
- Repeat the kneading process and place back in the bowl for it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the kneading process again and place back in the bowl for it to rest for 15 minutes (trust me its worth it!)
- Roll out the dough and make sure you roll it out thin as it will rise in the oven (if you are making two split the dough into two even balls of dough).
- Top the pizzas and bake them for 8-10 minutes.
Optional Step: Sprinkle some fresh basil on the top at the end.
Now to the toppings! This is probably my favorite part about a pizza apart from the taste and crispy base (I unintentionally made that rhyme!) I have included links to two different Pinterest boards which I think you might find useful.
P.S: Why not follow me on Pinterest @thatJSMR ?