This Greek dish is a wonderful main course or even starter when served in the correct portions. They can be eaten hot, warmed up or cold.
- As many sheets of Filo Pastry that you need (One sheet makes one parcel)
- Some Olive Oil
- 900g (2lb) fresh spinach
- Or alternatively 450g (1lb) frozen spinach (cooked drained and cooled)
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 100g (40z) feta cheese
- Preheat your oven 200c/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Chop the spinach and mix with your chopped spring opinions, crumbled feta cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Take a sheet of Filo Pastry and fold in half longways.
- Place a spoonful of your mixture in the lower left corner and fold over to the top right corner to form a triangle.
- Then fold the folded triangle over and then fold back to form another triangle.
- Carry on this process (step 5) until your entire sheet is folded into triangles. (remember to brush the top of the triangle with olive oil before each fold.)
- Place the formed triangle on your baking tray and repeat the above process until you have the required quantity of your preference.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes and serve hot or cold.
Make this recipe in the same way but replace the cheese with mashed tofu or 100g (40z) of flaked almonds or pine nuts.
DISCLAIMER: Parts of this recipe were inspired by the Spanikopita recipe in Rose Elliots Vegetarian Cooking Book.